How to Make a Pop up Photograph
Making your favorite photo into a pop-up is fun and relatively easy. Pop up your
family, your pet, your best friend, or you can invent your own imaginary scene using
magazine cut-outs and drawings. Here's how...
1. Choose a photo of a background or vista. This image will be folded in half so that the top
of the image is the "backdrop" and the bottom of the image is the "floor" or "ground." You
can use two different photos, one for the top, another for the bottom, and glue them onto
a sheet of paper.
2. Cut out separate photos of the objects you want to pop up in front of the background.
3. Fold the background photo in half (photo on the inside) and press along the fold. Keep the photo folded.
4. Make two parallel cuts of the same length into the fold of the photo (about 1/2 to 1 inch apart).
The longer these cuts, the further the image will sit from the background. The cuts should not
be longer than the height of your cutout photo and the width between them should not be wider
than your cutout photo, either.
5. Make another set of cuts for each additional photo.