How to Strengthen Your Back With Pilates
Achieve a well-defined, beautiful back by following this Pilates workout four times a week.
In just a month, you will begin to notice a difference in how you look and feel. Get rid of
those back aches and pains forever!
1. Prepare for the Cat Stretch. This Pilates exercise will be performed in four breaths.
You will inhale deeply through the nose to prepare, aiming the breath towards the back of
the rib cage and exhale deeply through the mouth.
• Start by positioning yourself on all fours on your mat or towel. Adjust your
hands so they rest directly under your shoulders and avoid overextending your elbows.
Have your knees directly under your hips.
• Have your spine in a neutral position. Your neck needs to follow this line naturally.
2. Inhale to prepare. As you begin to exhale, think of flattening the abdominal region;
imagine gently pulling your belly button towards your spine. Pull in your lower abdominal
muscles and curl the lower back, middle back and upper back towards the ceiling.
• Relax your neck at the end. Picture an "angry cat".
3. Inhale and stay. As you exhale, reverse the movement, articulating back from the neck,
upper back, middle back and lower back, returning to neutral without losing the control
in the abdominals.
4. Repeat this four times. Always concentrate on curling up and down through the centre
of the spine.