Marketing Through Social Bookmarking Sites
What is Social Bookmarking?
Social bookmarking is a method for Internet users to store, organize, search and manage
bookmarks. It is popular among people with affiliate marketing programs as it drives traffic
and back links to the website. Social bookmarking sites allow you to do two main things:
• Manage the bookmarks on-line, where they can be accessed from any computer.
• Conduct searches for information based on other people's findings rather than search engine's.
Why to use social bookmarking?
Social bookmarking is getting very popular with the Internet Marketers. In addition,
of creating brand awareness and increasing profit, social bookmarking have other benefits as well like:
• It can be accessed from anywhere and everywhere
• It makes it easier to search data as it is organized and categorized by the user
• It allows user to search data, which are not necessarily indexed by search engines
• Search is made easier as it facilitates ability to tag web page / site
• As user voting plays an important role in getting a high vote, chances of appearing in search results are increased
• Social bookmarking sites get the natural links i.e. if people like your story,
chances are they will publish it in their forums, blogs etc. with your website URL. Hence, your website will get the natural links.
Importance of social bookmarking from SEO point of view
From an Internet marketing perspective, this is useful because it drives traffic to a
web site in two ways:
• Direct click-through from the social bookmarking web sites.
• Through the search engines, as links from social bookmarking
sites will help raise your search engine rankings.
Popular Social Bookmarking Sites
Delicious is a social bookmarking site which was acquired by Yahoo! in 2005. Delicious
has more than 3 million users and 100 million tagged items. It allows user to tag his stuff
as well as find other people's stuff. User is also provided with an option to either set his
bookmarks to private or public. Public bookmarks are visible to everyone whereas private
bookmarks are visible to people who are in your network. Delicious is a free site and can
be used by anyone who has an access to the Internet.
Reasons behind Delicious's popularity
• Make it easy to share resources with peers, friends and others.
• Allow you to quickly bookmark the pages.
• It gets simpler to submit your links to a web site, blog, Facebook, etc.
• Helps to keep your content focused on your primary topic, which helps you to effectively brand yourself.
• Discover more cool links like you already have.
StumbleUpon is the Internet's only web discovery service that allows people to discover
great websites recommended by others with similar interests. It was founded in 2001, based
in San Francisco and backed by the same investors as Google and Facebook. More than 20,000
advertisers are using StumbleUpon to promote products and services. It has more than 7.4 million
users and receives 425 million recommendations per month.
Reasons behind StumbleUpon's popularity
• It rewards the best article.
• It does not ban the best sites.
• It has more positive pages.
• It allows more diversity of interests.
• It is easy to use and has better quality of comments.