Build the Best Opt-in List Imagineable!
One of the powerful tools in online "email" marketing is to build an opt-in
mailing list. An opt-in mailing list is a database of peoples' names and email
addresses that have subscribed to an email list via a web form giving that list
owner permission to send them periodic emails on the topic they are interested in.
The best gift of this powerful tool is the possibility of being able to talk to
people who are particularly interested in your product, service or organization.
This gaining popularity of building opt-in mailing list is known as Permission
There are do's and don'ts in starting your opt-in mailing list. Here are some of
the most important tips worth mentioning:
1. Put a subscription form prominently on your website.
2. Inform people that they can subscribe to your email list on the signature of your normal work emails. This will enable it to link straight through the form on your website.
3. Provide a real-time unsubscribe link.
4. Be clear on how people can benefit from subscribing and how often will you contact them. Make them know exactly what they will be receiving.
5. If you can, contact new subscriber as soon as you can. Welcome them with notes and tell them what to expect.
1. Add everyone who has ever emailed you to your list. Always ask permission first.
2. Purchase lists that you are not 100 percent sure that are opt-in. Always have an evidence to prove the legitimacy of the opt-ins.
3. Abuse people's trust. This is a sure way to ruin your brand and you. Soon enough they will ignore your messages.
Building Your List
Building your opt-in mailing list is cheaper than sending direct mails.
Printing, envelopes and paper used as material further add up to the cost. Here
are some ways to effectively start your opt-in mailing list:
1. Free Newsletter. One of the most effective ways to build an opt-in list is to
offer your online visitors freebies of value such as newsletter which will
contain information that they can relate to such as tips, tools, recipes, travel
itineraries and others.
2. Make it Easy to Subscribe. Provide easy steps for subscription. For more
subscribers, tell them the exact benefits they can get out of the subscription.
3. Quality Content. Be sure that what is written inside the newsletter, freebies
and information found in your website are all of value to increase visitors
dropping by your website.
4. Forums. Discussion boards and forums are all over the net. Try to actively
participate in these boards especially those in the line of your interest or
your business. Try to build your reputation with credibility.