How to be Prepared for the Challenges of Life
The path to success is never a straight line. Sometimes things don't go the way we planned it. Here are
ways to be prepared for the inevitable challenges in lfe.
• Save for a rainy day towards a six- to eight-month emergency fund.
• Aim to live on 80% or less of your take-home income so you have some margin for error.
• Figure out how much you need in order to retire and have a plan to get there so you can
avoid a crisis later in life.
• Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables so that you maximize your immune system and your
ability to fight off illnesses.
• Exercise regularly to minimize the likelihood of health issues such as diabetes, stroke,
and heart attack.
• Get plenty of good rest each night so that you have the energy to deal with all that you
face during the day.
• If you did not have a role model of a successful, happy marriage growing up, intentionally
choose a "relationship role model" to mentor and coach you.
• learn to love yourself before you attempt to love someone else. "Love your neighbor as yourself"
doesn't amount to much if you don't love yourself.
• If you are married, talk to your spouse and set ground rules about how you will interact and
communicate when you have disagreements. For example, you may agree in advance that
you'll never call each other names and regardless of how angry you get, you have to kiss
goodnight and sleep in the same bed.