Windows 10 Built-in Troubleshooters
The most obvious first step on the road to resolving performance issues is the aptly named Troubleshooting
section in the classic Control Panel. By default, it displays a list of the most commonly used
troubleshooters included with Windows 10, as shown in Figure 17-1.
Each of the troubleshooters included with Windows 10 launches an interactive problem-solving tool that
steps you through diagnosis and resolution of common problems.
Click the View All link on the left of the Troubleshooting page to see an expanded list that
includes modules for fixing more esoteric problems, such as issues with search and indexing or with the
Background Intelligent Transfer Service.
There's nothing magical about any of these troubleshooters. Their purpose is to ensure that you check
the most common causes of problems, including some that might seem obvious (is the network cable plugged
in? Is the printer turned on?). Running a troubleshooter can result in easy fixes for some issues; more
importantly, it establishes a baseline for further troubleshooting.
A troubleshooter might lead you through several steps and ask you to check settings or connections.
At the end, it displays its results, which include a View Detailed Information link that displays a
troubleshooting report similar to the one shown in Figure 17-2.
The troubleshooting report lists issues and indicates whether they were fixed. Click the Detection
Details link to see more granular information about that item.
This chapter from
Windows 10 Inside Out shows you the many tools that Windows provides for diagnosing errors and recovering from problems.
More Windows Troubleshooting Articles:
• How to Fix No Mouse Pointer Problem
• Windows 7 Startup Modes for Troubleshooting
• How to Diagnose Windows Blue Screen of Death (BSOD)
• A lot of Beepen and Tooten But No Booten?
• Introduction to Windows 10 Resource Monitor
• Video - How to Use Memtest86+ to Test Your PC's Memory Subsystem
• Free Tool to Recover Files From Damaged Disc
• How to Find Windows 7 Product Key
• Windows XP's Built-in Help and Support Center
• Free Firewall - ZoneAlarm