BTH Webmaster message: It's very difficult to determine if a failure is caused by
the CPU because many other components can cause the same symptom when they fail.
Some symptoms of a bad CPU are: system fails to boot, system re-boots intermittently,
general protection fault, illegal operation, stop error, or BSoD (Blue Screen Of Death).
Actually, CPUs rarely fail, and about the only way to determine if the CPU is causing the
failure is to swap it out with a known working CPU of the same type and speed. Since
this is difficult, the best bet is to first rule out every other possibility. But if you feel a bad
CPU is causing your problem, this video shows you how to replace it in a Dell laptop.
Warning: Avoid static discharge by grounding yourself using a wrist strap or by touching a bare
metal surface like a connector on the back of the laptop and remove all of the power including the
battery and power adapter.
Make sure all data is backed up before removing or replacing your hard drive. Laptop hard drives
are very sensitive and can be damaged easily. Handle with care. Performing your own repairs may
void your warranty.
1. Unscrew the seven (7) retaining screws to remove the access base cover.
2. Lift and remove the access base cover door.
3. Remove the single retaining screw by the CPU fan.
4. Loosen the six (6) CPU heat sink retaining screws.
5. Unplug the CPU fan.
6. Remove the heat sink and fan assembly.
7. Turn the CPU locking screw counter-clockwise and lift the CPU straight up.
8. Set the new CPU into the socket by aligning the corner arrow with the two
missing pins on the socket. Do not try to force the CPU into the socket. If it's aligned
correctly, it will seat easily.
9. Turn the CPU locking screw click wise to secure the CPU in place.
10. Replace the heat sink fan assembly and tighten down the six (6) retaining
screws in numerical order.
11. Replace the single retaining screw by the fan.
12. Plug in the fan.
13. Place the base access cover onto the base and tighten the seven (7) screws.
14. Re-seat the battery.
Parts-People Specializes in repairing Dell laptops.
They do not offer parts or service for any other manufacturer. Although they are not affiliated with the
Dell Computer Corporation, they have been specializing in Dell Laptop parts and Dell laptop repair services
for ten years. Parts-People also offers Dell laptop
repair at our 14,000 square foot facility in Austin, Texas. They keep a large inventory of Dell laptop parts
and refurbished Dell laptops so they can replace your Dell computer if it cannot be repaired.
Save Money with Refurbished, Pre-Owned, and Open-Box Products on
For example this refurbished Lenovo Thinkpad T440 Ultrabook, 14 Inch Display, Intel Core 4th Gen i5-4300U 1.9GHz,
8GB RAM, 500GB, USB 3.0, WiFi, with Windows 10 Professional was only $227.55 with FREE Shipping.
This Amazon Renewed product was professionally inspected and tested by an Amazon qualified supplier.
Box and accessories may be generic. Product works and looks like new. Comes with a 90-day warranty.
Click here to what kind of amazing deal you can get with Amazon Renewed.