The Media Access Control (MAC) sublayer of the OSI Data Link layer of th OSI model includes the following chracteristics:
A common example of a Layer 2 address is a MAC address, which is a 48-bit address assigned to a device's network interface card (NIC). MAC addresses are written in hexadecimal notation (for example58:55:ca:eb:27:83). The first 24 bits of the 48-bit address are the vendor code. The IEEE Registration Authority assigns a mamufactirer one or more unique vendor codes. You can use the list of vendor codes at standards.ieee.org/develop/regauth/oui/oui.txt to identify the manufacturer of a networking device, based on the first half of the device's MAC address. The last 24 bits of a MAC address are assigned by the manufacturer, and they act as a serial number for the device. No two MAC addresses in the world should have the same value.
Layer 2 devices view a network as a logical topology. Examples of logical topologies include bus and ring topologies.
Method of Transmitting on the Media
With several devices connected to a network, there needs to be some strategy when a device sends on the media. Otherwise, multiple devices might send at the same time and interfere with one another's transmission.
About The Author
Anthony Sequeira, CCIE No. 15626, is a Cisco Certified Systems Instructor (CCSI) and author regarding all levels and tracks of Cisco Certification. Anthony formally began his career in the information technology industry in 1994 with IBM in Tampa, Florida. He quickly formed his own computer consultancy, Computer Solutions, and then discovered his true passion-teaching and writing about Microsoft and Cisco technologies. Anthony joined Mastering Computers in 1996 and lectured to massive audiences around the world about the latest in computer technologies. Mastering Computers became the revolutionary online training company, KnowledgeNet, and Anthony trained there for many years. Anthony is currently pursuing his second CCIE in the area of Security and is a full-time instructor for the next-generation of KnowledgeNet, StormWind.com. Anthony is also a VMware Certified Professional.
CompTIA Network+ N10-008 Cert Guide contains proven study features that allow you to succeed on the exam the first time. Expert instructor Anthony Sequeira shares preparation hints and test-taking tips, helping you identify areas of weakness and improve both your conceptual knowledge and hands-on skills, essential for successful completion of the performance-based testing items on the exam. This complete, CompTIA-approved study package includes the following:
• A test-preparation routine proven to help you pass the exams
• Clearly defined chapter learning objectives covering all N10-008 exam topics
• Chapter-ending review questions and exam preparation exercises, which help you drill on key concepts you must know thoroughly
• The powerful Pearson Test Prep practice test software, complete with hundreds of well-reviewed, exam-realistic questions, customization options, and detailed performance reports
• 40 performance-based exercises to help you prepare for the hands-on exam questions
• A free copy of the CompTIA Network+ N10-008 Simulator Lite software, complete with meaningful lab exercises that enhance your hands-on skills
• More than 60 minutes of video mentoring
• A final preparation chapter that guides you through tools and resources to help you craft your review and test taking strategies
• An Exam Essentials appendix that quickly recaps all major chapter topics for easy reference, both in print and interactive digital format
• A key terms Glossary in both print and on the companion website, which acts as an interactive flash-card application
• Study plan suggestions and templates to help you organize and optimize your study time
• A 10% exam discount voucher (a $33+ value!)
Well regarded for its level of detail, study plans, assessment features, challenging review questions and exercises, video instruction, and hands-on labs, this approved study guide helps you master the concepts and techniques that ensure your exam success.
Master the topics on the CompTIA Network+ N10-008 exam, including:
• Network topologies and media types
• IP addressing
• Network services
• Data center architectures and cloud concepts
• Routing, Ethernet switching, and wireless networking
• Network availability and disaster recovery
• Network security
• Remote access
• Network troubleshooting
Reader Paulo Cardoso says, "This is a great book. In addition, it comes with great additional resources."
Learn more about the CompTIA Network+ N10-008 Cert Guide at amazon.com
Learn more at amazon.com
More Networking Basics:
• Introduction To IP Addressing and Networking
• Packet Switching Store-and-Forward Transmission
• Media Access Control (MAC) Sublayer of the OSI Data Link Layer
• Bluetooth Basics - Bluetooth Technology Tutorial
• Fiber Broadband Internet Service
• What is DSL and how can it benefit my home or small business?
• Network Cabling For Beginners
• Definition: Cloud Computing
• What is DNS?
• Bluetooth in Brief