Introduction to Windows Performance Monitor
By Stephen Bucaro
Performance Monitor is a visual tool that system administrators can use to examine how
various parameters of a Windows system are performing. To access Performance Monitor:
1. In Control Panel, click on the Administrative Tools icon.
2. In the Administrative Tools windows that appears, double-click on the Performance Monitor icon.
3. In the left-panel of the Performance Monitor window, click on Monitoring Tools | Performance Monitor
By default Performance Monitor shows a running graph of the percent of Processor time being utilized.
Click on the green + icon at the top of the chart window to open a dialog box with a list of other
monitors you can add to the chart. One interesting thing to monitor is Memory. In the list,
scroll to Memory and click on the down arrow next to it, this expands Memory into a
list of memory properties, called counters that you can display. Highlight % Committed
Bytes In Use and click on the [Add>>] button. Then click on the [OK] button.
Other counters you might find interesting are:
• Physical Disk | % Disk Time: Displays the percentage of the hard drive's time spent
performing read and / or write requests.
• Network Interface | Bytes Total/sec: Displays how many bytes are sent and received
over a particular network interface.
To remove a counter's trace from the display, in the list of counters at the bottom of Performance
Monitor, uncheck the counter you wish to remove. To start monitoring that counter again, just reset the
check. To remove the counters name from the list, highlight the name and click on the red x icon at the
top of the chart window.
More Windows Troubleshooting Articles:
• How to Troubleshoot a Document Scanner
• How to Tame Your Mouse
• Troubleshooting Laptop Power Issues
• Get Remote Technical Assistance
• View Hidden Devices with Device Manager
• Video - Common Laptop Problems
• System Restore: The Big Undo
• How To Repair Hard Drive Problems
• How to Spot a Failing Hard Drive
• When Pesky Programs Won't Go Away