How to Repair Low Memory Errors
Your memory acts as the life blood of your PC. So, low memory will slow your computer
to a death crawl. A low memory error can be caused by a number of factors. However, remedying
the problem will present you will a faster more efficient computer
Technically, memory acts a temporary storage for data. There are three types of memory.
RAM, ROM and Virtual memory. When you receive a low memory error. The error will be a reflection
of low memory problems with RAM or Virtual memory. Often, this error can be easily reversed
by freeing up memory for your system's use. This article will show you to speed up your memory
functions with just a few clicks.
Before you begin freeing up memory, you must test to see if your low memory error is
being caused by faulty RAM hardware. If the RAM hardware has be damaged, it may need to be
physically replaced. Follow the instructions below to test your memory.
1. Click "Start"
2. Type "memory" into the search bar."
3. Choose "Memory Diagnostic Tool".
4. Choose the option to check your memory.
So, if you passed the test with flying colors, lets get started on removing your low
memory problems. Fading widows, translucently, animations and other visual affects make your
desktop very beautiful and exciting. However, these features all must be loaded into your RAM.
The more features, the less memory you will have for running the programs you want. You should
streamline your Windows visual effects to free up more RAM for immediate use. Here is how:
1. Click Start, and then click "Control Panel".
2. Click "System".
3. Click "Advanced System Settings".
4. Under Performance, Click "Settings".
5. Under "Visual Effects",
6. Choose "Adjust for best performance".
As previously stated, programs need memory. There is no way around this fact. If you
have tons of programs running silently in the background, these programs are silently creating
a low memory environment. When Windows loads, it also loads start up programs. Eliminating
startup programs is one of the best ways to end low memory errors. This tweak will also speed
up your shutdown process. You can cut your start up programs load to bare bones by altering
your "msconfig" also known as your start up program configuration. Here is how:
1. Open your "Start" menu.
2. Click "Run".
3. In the command screen type "msconfig.exe".
4. In the "system configuration utility", click either "service" or "startup" tab.
5. Uncheck all programs that your are no longer using.
6. Click "OK".
You can change your virtual memory by altering amount of free resources for your computer
uses for it. Virtual memory uses free space as a resource. So you can change the the amount
free space reserved for the Virtual memory to eliminate low memory problems. Here's how to
alter your Virtual Memory.
1. Go to your "System Properties" in the Control Panel.
2. Under the Advance tab under Performance, click "Settings".
3. Select Advanced.
4. Choose "Change" under Virtual Memory.
5. Select your Hard Disk.
6. Click "System Manage Size".
All in all, these tips will help you solve most of your low memory problems. Other cases
may require a hardware upgrade. In order to keep your computer to running efficiently, you
need to have available free resources.
For more tips on cleaning up your PC to make it run faster visit:
How to Speed Up PC
More Windows Troubleshooting Articles:
• Windows XP's Built-in Help and Support Center
• How to Fix Rundll32.exe Errors
• Protect Yourself From Fake Technical Support
• How to Replace a Broken Dell Latitude E5520 Laptop Screen
• A Thorough Guide to Fixing That Printer That is Not Working
• Windows 7 System Recovery Options
• Troubleshooting Wireless a Keyboard or Mouse
• Examining Computer Hardware Components
• Printer Not Working? Six Things to Do to Fix It
• How to Create a Windows XP Boot Disk