NTOSKRNL Missing or Corrupt Error Message
By Stephen Bucaro
The file ntoskrnl.exe is a core Windows operating system file. If it's corrupt or
missing your PC will not be able to startup. The solution is to Insert your Windows
installation disc, restart your PC, and select "Repair your computer". If you don't
have an installation disc, you might be able to copy the file from another computer.
The ntoskrnl.exe resides in the \Windows\System32\ folder.
The size of the ntoskrnl.exe is different with different Windows versions and
service pack levels. Make sure the PC that you're copying the file from is the
same Windows version and service pack level.
If you try copying the file from a live system you'll receive an "access denied"
message. However, there are several methods you can use to access the file.
1. Boot with a Linux live CD like Ubuntu. It's also possible to make a Windows live CD.
2. Boot with Ultimate Boot CD for Windows
which is a free bootable recovery CD that contains software used for repairing, restoring,
or diagnosing almost any computer problem.
3. Take the HD out of the system and set it up as a secondary drive in another system.
Note: To boot from your CD, you need to set the CD as the first boot device in your
system's BIOS. To do this, when your PC first starts, you'll see a message like
"Press DEL to enter setup" or something similar. Immediately press the indicated key
and wait for the BIOS setup screen to appear. On the BIOS setup screen select the
Boot Device or Boot Order setting. Set that to CD/DVD. Save your changes when you
Exit the BIOS setup.
More Windows Troubleshooting Articles:
• Can't Detect a Hardware Device? - Try Resetting BIOS
• Diagnose a PC's Multimedia Functions
• How to Fix Advapi32 Error
• How to Troubleshoot the Video Driver
• Windows XP's Built-in Help and Support Center
• Video - Dell Laptop Memory Replacement Tutorial
• How To Fix pnrpsvc.dll Error
• First Stop When Troubleshooting Windows 7 - Control Panel
• How to Fix Windows XP Errors
• Troubleshooting Windows 7 Inside Out