Remove Windows Components You Don't Need
The Windows operating system includes many built-in applications to provide extra features
that you may, or may not need. When Windows starts, these applications are loaded into memory.
If you don't use them, that's wasteful. To disable Windows built-in applications that you don't need:
1. Open Control Panel
2. In the Programs group, under Programs and Features, select "Turn Windows features on or off"
3. In the Windows Features dialog box that appears, (it takes a few seconds to gather information)
uncheck the Windows components you don't need.
Here's some examples of Windows components you may not need:
[ ] Games. These are Windows pre-installed games, such as Minesweeper and Solitaire.
[ ] Tablet PC Components. These support tablet PC features such as Math Input Panel, and handwriting
recognition. If your system is not a tablet PC, you don't need these features.
[ ] Windows Gadget Platform.
Gadgets are mini programs that provide information at a glance, usually gathered from a live Internet
connection. Microsoft has warned that a Gadgets included in Windows could allow attackers to access
your computer's files or collect your personal information.
[ ] XPS Services
[ ] XPS Viewer
XPS is a Microsoft PDF-like document format. XPS Services and XPS Viewer provide support for this
document format. I personally have never encountered an XPS document.
4. After you've unchecked all the components you don't need, click on the [OK] button.
Disabling built-in Windows applications does not remove their files from your hard drive, it just
prevents them from loading at startup time. Before disabling a built-in Windows application you
should perform an Internet search on the feature's name to make sure that you understand its purpose
and that you don't need it.
More Windows Tips:
• Steps to Fix a Wet Laptop
• Create a Shortcut to Task Manager
• Use ReadyBoost to Improve PC performance
• Free Goodies for Your PCs
• Add a Folder to the Windows 7 Taskbar
• How to Free Some Hard Drive Space
• Make the Insertion Point Cursor More Visible
• How to Cancel a Print Job in Windows 10
• Make PDF eBooks Read Themselves Outloud
• Disable Media Player Network sharing