Configure Recycle Bin to Immediately Delete Files
By Stephen Bucaro
When you delete a file in Windows 7 it's not really deleted. By default it's moved
to a special hidden system binary file at the top of each drive named $Recycle.Bin.
By doing this, you can easily restore the deleted file by right-clicking on the
Recycle Bin icon, selecting "Open" in the popup menu that appears, right-clicking on
the name of the file, and selecting "Restore" in the popup menu that appears.
But what if you're one of those people who, when they say "delete" they really mean
delete? Actually deleting a file has two advantages. 1. Unauthorized users of the same
computer can't access your deleted files, and 2. the stored files take up space on your
drive. Well, you can easily configure the Recycle Bin to immediately delete files.
Note: Under certain circumstances, even deleted files can be restored by using special
file recovery software, or by a user that knows how to use scripts. However, if you
use an application like the free
File Shredder utility, the
file really is gone.
To configure the Recycle Bin to immediately delete files, right-clicking on the
Recycle Bin icon and in the popup menu that appears, select "Properties". In the
"Recycle Bin Properties" dialog box that appears, set the radio button next to
"Don't move files to the Recycle Bin, Remove files immediately when deleted."
Then click on the [Apply] button, then click on the [OK] button.
Now when you right-click on a file name on Windows Desktop or in Windows Explorer,
and select delete in the popup menu, it does not get saved in the Recycle Bin, it
really does get deleted.
More Windows Tips:
• How to Disable Windows Explorer's Annoying Tooltips Popups
• Add More Information to a Files List
• How to Remove Metadata From Files in Windows 7
• Disable Taskbar Button Grouping
• Make Your USB Drive Work Faster
• Disable Media Player Network sharing
• How to Use Windows 7 Built-in Speech Recognition
• How-to Capture the Computer?s Screen
• Display Control Panel Utilities in Windows 7 Start Menu
• How to Connect Two Computers