Change Your PC's Name
By Stephen Bucaro
A computer might have a default name provided by the individual who built it, or you may have
inherited the computer from a family member or from another employee who changed positions
or left the company. The computer's name may no longer apply. Fortunately, it's very easy
to change a computer's name.
1. In Control Panel, select the System and Security group. on the System and Security
window, under System, click on See the name of this computer.
2. On the View basic information about your computer page, the current name of your computer
is listed under Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings. Click on the Change Settings
link. If the User Account Control warning box appears, click on the [Yes] button.
3. In the System Properties dialog box that appears, make sure the Computer Name tab is selected.
4. The text box near the top of the Computer Name tab is NOT for the computer's name,
it's where you might type in a description of the computer. To change the computer's name,
click on the [Change...] button next to "To rename this computer, click Change.".
5. In the Computer Name⁄Domain Changes dialog box that appears, enter the new
computer's name in the Computer name" text box, then click on the [OK] button.
Note: The new computer name doesn't take effect until after you restart the computer.
Note: Depending upon the type of network the computer is connected to, changing a computer's
name can cause it to lose access to the network. For example having two computers with the same
names on a network can cause problems.
More Windows Tips:
• Make PDF eBooks Read Themselves Outloud
• Configuring the Windows 7 Taskbar Notification Area
• Move a Window With Keyboard Arrow Keys
• Create a Shortcut to the Windows 10 Print Queue
• How to Create a Microsoft Excel Database
• My Favorite Windows 7 Tips and Tricks
• How to Add and Remove Desktop Gadgets
• How to Remove a DVD or CD that's Stuck in the Drive
• How to Set up an Ftp Server on Windows Xp Professional
• Restore a File's Previous Version