The OSI Presentation Layer
By Stephen Bucaro
At the presentaion layer, layer six of the OSI model,source and destination applications
communicate on a format for exchanging data. The sending computer may convert text to a
generic format ( ASCII) for transmission over a network. The receiveing computer converts
the ASCII to the format required by the destination application.
Data Transformation Services Provided by the Presentation Layer
• Text format conversions
• Binary and graphics format conversions
• Compression and expansion
• Encryption and decryption
When you think of the Application layer, keep in mind that the OSI is only a model. Actual network
operating systems may handle the data conversion functions at the application and session layers.
More Networking Protocols and Standards:
• Video Streaming Protocols
• Looking at the OSI 7 Layer Reference Model
• Networking Protocols, Ports, Standards, and Organizations What Does it All Mean?
• Video - Data Link Layer of OSI Networking Model
• TCP/IP Utilities
• What Is Fabric Networking?
• Protocol Suites
• Basic TCP/IP Networking
• NTP Server Systems - The Network Time Protocol
• What Are Private IP Addresses?