The OSI Presentation Layer
By Stephen Bucaro
At the presentaion layer, layer six of the OSI model,source and destination applications
communicate on a format for exchanging data. The sending computer may convert text to a
generic format ( ASCII) for transmission over a network. The receiveing computer converts
the ASCII to the format required by the destination application.
Data Transformation Services Provided by the Presentation Layer
• Text format conversions
• Binary and graphics format conversions
• Compression and expansion
• Encryption and decryption
When you think of the Application layer, keep in mind that the OSI is only a model. Actual network
operating systems may handle the data conversion functions at the application and session layers.
More Networking Protocols and Standards:
• Free eBook: IPv6 Addressing
• Basic TCP/IP Networking
• Wireless Network Standards - 80211a, 80211b, 80211g, 80211n, 80216
• DSL (Digital Subscriber Line)
• WAN Network Protocols - DSL, SONET, HDLC, DWDM, DLSW+
• Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) Explained
• Session Border Controllers - More Than Just a Voice Firewall
• Comparison of the Layers of the OSI and TCP/IP Models
• What Are Private IP Addresses?