The OSI Presentation Layer
By Stephen Bucaro
At the presentaion layer, layer six of the OSI model,source and destination applications
communicate on a format for exchanging data. The sending computer may convert text to a
generic format ( ASCII) for transmission over a network. The receiveing computer converts
the ASCII to the format required by the destination application.
Data Transformation Services Provided by the Presentation Layer
• Text format conversions
• Binary and graphics format conversions
• Compression and expansion
• Encryption and decryption
When you think of the Application layer, keep in mind that the OSI is only a model. Actual network
operating systems may handle the data conversion functions at the application and session layers.
More Networking Protocols and Standards:
• Remote Control Protocols
• Network Operating Systems
• How to Set Up FTP (File Transfer Protocol)
• IPv4 Datagram Fields
• What is PPP, PPPoA and PPPoE?
• Video - Transport Layer (Layer 4) of OSI Networking Model
• OSPF (Open Shortest Path First) Protocol
• The OSI Reference Model
• Neighbor Discovery Protocol (NDP)
• The OSI Presentation Layer