The OSI Presentation Layer
By Stephen Bucaro
At the presentaion layer, layer six of the OSI model,source and destination applications
communicate on a format for exchanging data. The sending computer may convert text to a
generic format ( ASCII) for transmission over a network. The receiveing computer converts
the ASCII to the format required by the destination application.
Data Transformation Services Provided by the Presentation Layer
• Text format conversions
• Binary and graphics format conversions
• Compression and expansion
• Encryption and decryption
When you think of the Application layer, keep in mind that the OSI is only a model. Actual network
operating systems may handle the data conversion functions at the application and session layers.
More Networking Protocols and Standards:
• Free eBook: IPv6 Addressing
• IPv6 Address Format
• An Introduction to the Types of VPNs
• Free eBook: Introduction to 802.11 Wireless
• The OSI Presentation Layer
• Networking Protocols, Ports, Standards, and Organizations What Does it All Mean?
• The OSI Physical Layer
• Wireless Network Standards - 80211a, 80211b, 80211g, 80211n, 80216
• The OSI Session Layer
• Shortest Path Bridging (SPB) Protocol