The OSI Presentation Layer
By Stephen Bucaro
At the presentaion layer, layer six of the OSI model,source and destination applications
communicate on a format for exchanging data. The sending computer may convert text to a
generic format ( ASCII) for transmission over a network. The receiveing computer converts
the ASCII to the format required by the destination application.
Data Transformation Services Provided by the Presentation Layer
• Text format conversions
• Binary and graphics format conversions
• Compression and expansion
• Encryption and decryption
When you think of the Application layer, keep in mind that the OSI is only a model. Actual network
operating systems may handle the data conversion functions at the application and session layers.
More Networking Protocols and Standards:
• Protocol Suites
• The OSI Data Link Layer
• Internet Security and VPN Network Design
• Network Routing Protocols - IGRP, EIGRP, OSPF, ISIS, BGP
• Networking Protocols, Ports, Standards, and Organizations What Does it All Mean?
• Unicast, Multicast, Broadcast. What Does It Mean?
• Classless IP Addressing
• DSL (Digital Subscriber Line)
• IEEE 802 Standards Specify the Basics of Physical and Logical Networking
• Routing Datagrams