The OSI Presentation Layer
By Stephen Bucaro
At the presentaion layer, layer six of the OSI model,source and destination applications
communicate on a format for exchanging data. The sending computer may convert text to a
generic format ( ASCII) for transmission over a network. The receiveing computer converts
the ASCII to the format required by the destination application.
Data Transformation Services Provided by the Presentation Layer
• Text format conversions
• Binary and graphics format conversions
• Compression and expansion
• Encryption and decryption
When you think of the Application layer, keep in mind that the OSI is only a model. Actual network
operating systems may handle the data conversion functions at the application and session layers.
More Networking Protocols and Standards:
• Video - Network Layer (Layer 3) of OSI Networking Model
• The OSI Presentation Layer
• OSI Transport Layer
• Networking and Internet Standards Organizations
• IPv4 Datagram Fields
• What Are Private IP Addresses?
• Video - The Upper Layers 5 Through 7 of the OSI Networking Model
• Major Protocols in the TCP/IP Suite
• TCP Windowing
• IEEE 802.11.x Wireless Standards