The OSI Presentation Layer
By Stephen Bucaro
At the presentaion layer, layer six of the OSI model,source and destination applications
communicate on a format for exchanging data. The sending computer may convert text to a
generic format ( ASCII) for transmission over a network. The receiveing computer converts
the ASCII to the format required by the destination application.
Data Transformation Services Provided by the Presentation Layer
• Text format conversions
• Binary and graphics format conversions
• Compression and expansion
• Encryption and decryption
When you think of the Application layer, keep in mind that the OSI is only a model. Actual network
operating systems may handle the data conversion functions at the application and session layers.
More Networking Protocols and Standards:
• IP Addressing
• Video - Introducing the OSI Model
• The OSI Reference Model
• Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) Explained
• IPv6 Address Types and Scopes
• Shortest Path Bridging (SPB) Protocol
• Internet Protocol versions IPv4, IPv5 and IPv6
• Video Streaming Protocols
• Looking at the OSI 7 Layer Reference Model
• What Are Private IP Addresses?