The OSI Presentation Layer
By Stephen Bucaro
At the presentaion layer, layer six of the OSI model,source and destination applications
communicate on a format for exchanging data. The sending computer may convert text to a
generic format ( ASCII) for transmission over a network. The receiveing computer converts
the ASCII to the format required by the destination application.
Data Transformation Services Provided by the Presentation Layer
• Text format conversions
• Binary and graphics format conversions
• Compression and expansion
• Encryption and decryption
When you think of the Application layer, keep in mind that the OSI is only a model. Actual network
operating systems may handle the data conversion functions at the application and session layers.
More Networking Protocols and Standards:
• Kerberos Authentication Protocol
• What's the Difference Between a Packet and a Frame?
• Looking at the OSI 7 Layer Reference Model
• Introducing OpenStack
• VTP (VLAN Trunking Protocol)
• Evolution of the Microsoft NOS (Active Directory)
• Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) Explained
• Wireless Standards - 802.11a 802.11b 802.11g 802.11n 802.11i Explained
• The OSI Presentation Layer
• The TCP/IP protocol Datagram Format