Fashion Careers - Job List in the Fashion Industry
A career in the fashion industry sounds glamorous and lucrative. Have you consider
getting into the fashion industry, but might think that you cannot manage it? There are so
many different roles and positions that you can play in the fashion world. One does not
necessarily be a fashion designer but still be able to have a very successful career in the
Being able to make a living with things you like is always enjoyable. If you are a
fashion fan and love to see beautiful clothing, accessories or sketches around you, you
should consider starting a career in the fashion world. Below are some key roles in the
fashion world where you can take part in - from design, production, marketing, to many more.
This is one of the most high profile jobs in the fashion industry. Designers are
responsible for conceptualizing their ideas on trends and realizing them on their final
products. Designers can be employed by companies which own a group of designers, or work
for their own brand and production line, or, even as a freelancer providing designs for
There are several types of fashion designers:
1. Apparel designers: Obviously these are clothing designers, ranging from lingerie, sports wear, casual wear to high fashion couture, for men, women and kids.
2. Footwear designers: They design footwear for men, women and kids from a style point of view, as well as from a foot-health's perspective.
3. Accessory designers: Accessories has a broad definitely - from handbags, hat, eyewear to gloves, scarves and jewelry pieces.
Production involves the sampling of garments and accessories until producing the final
pieces that would deliver to shops and customers. This massive work involves a team of
1. Merchandiser: Merchandisers play a key role in the production process of a fashion
product.They are responsible for buying raw materials for production, selecting fabric,
textiles and trims. They have to make decisions based on pricing, quality and latest trend
and innovation of raw materials.
2. Technical Designers: Technical designers are the one responsible for doing fittings
during the whole sampling to production procedure. They might not be the one who designed
the garment but are the experts in providing alternative to the garment to improve the
fitting of garment.
3. Pattern Makers: Pattern is the basis for a garment to be sewed. Pattern makers
produce and maintain patterns for garments that designers have sketched out. Pattern
makers are key persons in realization of a garment.
4. Pattern Graders: The sizing of garment starts with the pattern grading. Pattern
graders are experts in creating size specifications for different sizes. They are vital
persons in for any fashion brands, as a consistent sizing across products can maintain
customer loyalty and confidence.
5. Fitting Models: Ultimately garments and footwear are made for putting comfort and
style together. Fitting is a crucial part in fashion industry and the most precise fitting
is to use model as the body for fitting.
Many companies have their own dedicated models for fitting their lines, who has the
exact sizing measurement the brand requires. Sometimes you would see ads looking for
sampling models, from kids, men, women to plus size models.
6. Quality Control Specialists: Quality control is of top importance for any sort of
products, and is no exception in fashion industry. Quality control specialists look at the
quality of raw materials, like peeling, shrinking and color fading of textile and overall
quality of a fashion item, for instance, the overall assembling of an accessory item.
7. Planners: Fashion planners coordinate closely with designers, merchandisers and
buyers to decide the production plan for the coming seasons. They look at both production
and marketing side while paying close attention to the latest fashion trend.