Gardening and Landscaping - A Lucrative Career Option
Do you love taking care of plants? Are you always busy decorating your garden and
making it look more exotic? Now you can develop your hobby into a career and set up your
own business. The demand for landscape artists and gardening experts is rising constantly.
More and more people are seeking the services of professionals to plan, maintain and
decorate their private, public and business gardens. Gardening and Landscaping are fields
which offer stable employment and wonderful financial opportunities.
Nature of the Work:
• Landscape gardeners work to develop muddy fields into beautiful gardens full of flowers and plants.
• They work for private gardens, public parks, golf courses, greenhouses, and terrace gardens to create exotic flower beds, lawns, and trees.
• They use their knowledge of botany, landscape installation, plant materials, soil science,
and pest and disease identification and treatment, to create wonderful landscapes and gardens.
• They prepare the ground for planting, transplant nursery plants, use fertilizers and pesticides and sow seeds.
• Trim and prune hedges, trees, and shrubs.
• Install rock gardens, ponds, decorate, and maintain drainage systems.
• Retain walls, fences, and planters, and advise clients on plant care.
&bull They often work with tools ranging from small trowels to large lawn mowers, tractors, loaders etc.
Landscape and Gardening are tough jobs involving a lot of creativity and knowledge of
plants. There will always be lucrative job potential for individuals with the interest and
proper training in landscaping.
Career Opportunities in Gardening and Landscaping:
Landscaping professionals mostly work outside in nurseries or botanical gardens. They
can choose to become Horticulturists, Countryside Rangers, Garden Managers, Landscaping
Architects and can start their own business too. Landscape gardeners can find employment in:
• Retail gardening centers
• Landscaping and lawn care agencies
• Indoor gardens and botanical centers
• Tree farms
• Government departments
Skills Required for Gardening⁄Landscaping
Though there is no particular academic qualification for being a landscape gardener yet
a few qualities can prove beneficial. These include:
• Love for nature
• Good understanding of plants
• Artistic flair
• Good eyesight
• Physically strong