How to Become a Microsoft MVP (Most Valuable Professional)
A Microsoft MVP, also known as a Microsoft Most Valuable Professional (MVP), is an individual
that has been selected to receive an annual award for outstanding contributions within communities
that utilize Microsoft technologies. Microsoft MVPs are nominated by their peers, by Microsoft
employees, as well as other MVPs for their achievements within the past 12 months.
Recipients of the Microsoft MVP award are distinguished members of the technical community
and are recognized for sharing their expertise and knowledge with others, both online and offline.
Here are some tips and suggestions on how to become a Microsoft MVP.
1. Know that the Microsoft MVP award strives to facilitate the unrestricted sharing of
knowledge. The goal is to provide reputable resources that encompass expansive expertise that
can benefit all members of the community.
2. Realize that individuals that are given the Microsoft MVP award do not work for Microsoft
nor do they represent the company. Microsoft MVP's are independent individuals that were chosen
based upon their accomplishments within technical communities.
3. Consider that a requirement to be nominated and selected as a Microsoft MVP is to
be at least 18 years of age or older. The age requirement reflects Microsoft's guidelines relative
to the privacy and safety of minors.
4. Know that the process of selecting Microsoft MVPs includes a review of accomplishments
and achievements made by technical community members within the past year prior to nomination.
Factors that are considered during the evaluation process include the quality and quantity
of contributions in addition to the influencing effect within the technical community.
5. Realize that the scope of the Microsoft MVP program extends worldwide and includes
millions of active, participating members within the technical community. Microsoft's customer
base is expansive and encompasses a broad range of technologies.
6. Consider that Microsoft MVPs generally will have acquired extensive knowledge of a
particular Microsoft product or technology. Those individuals that receive the Microsoft MVP
award are not required to have extensive knowledge and expertise covering all Microsoft products
7. Realize that Microsoft MVPs do receive benefits and services as a result of receiving
an award. Recipients do not get any form of payment or monetary award when selected to become
a Microsoft MVP.
8. Know that individuals selected to be a Microsoft MVP award maintain that title for
1 year only. Recipients must follow the MVP code of conduct and adhere to the Microsoft community
rules during that period.
9. Know that Microsoft MVP nominees are selected from community members in more than
90 countries worldwide. Potential new MVPs are selected from a variety of venues, including,
but not limited, to newsgroups, public forums, social media sites and event speakers.
10. Consider that you can apply directly yourself to be awarded the title of a Microsoft
MVP. You can also be nominated by fellow peers within the technical community or by Microsoft.