Synchronize Your PC's Clock with an Internet Time Server
By Stephen Bucaro
To ensure that the clock on your PC is accurate, you can synchronize it with an Internet Time Server.
1. In Control Panel, select the Clock, Language, and Region group. On the
Clock, Language, and Region page, under Date and Time click on Set the date and time.
2. In the Date and Time dialog box that appears, click on the Internet Time tab.
3. On the Internet Time tab, click on the [Change settings...] button. If the User Account
Control warning box appears, click on the [Yes] button.
4. In the Internet Time Settings dialog box that appears, in the Server: drop down list,
choose an Internet Time Server. Then click on the [Update now] button.
Note: If your PC is in a domain, you can't synchronize it with an Internet time server, you need to
synchronize it with the domain's network time server.
Actually, your PC should, by default, be configured to synchronize to time.windows.com every seven
days. One of the reasons you might be thinking of synchronizing your PC's clock is because it doesn't
keep accurate time. In that case, you might want to schedule a task to run the Date and Time utility
at a more frequent interval. (In Control Panel's System and Security group, select Administrative
Tools, then Task Scheduler).
If your PC's clock still does not keep accurate time, make sure the Windows Time service (w32time)
is running. Another problem might be a bad CMOS battery on the motherboard, which causes the
PC to lose time when it's turned off.
More Windows Administration Information:
• Planning a Backup and Restoration of Files for Disaster Recovery
• PC Technician's Guide to Providing Telephone Support
• Internet Connection Sharing in Windows XP
• What is Hyper-V in Windows Server 2019?
• The Different Types of Virtualization
• Put HyperTerminal on Windows 7
• Find Your WiFi Password on Windows 10
• How to Erase a Hard Disk Drive Permanently
• Video - Microsoft Remote Desktop - Part Two
• Command Line to Get Computers Model, Vendor, and Serial Number