Fix Windows 7 Repeatedly Tries to Update
By Stephen Bucaro
If your PC repeatedly tries to install updates each time it's shut down, it's most
likely because a Windows update has failed. Microsoft created the
System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7
because of an inconsistency in the Windows servicing store which may prevent the successful
installation of updates, service packs, and software.
Download and install the Update Readiness Tool. When you run it, it will take a few
minutes to check your PC and attempt to fix any problems preventing your updates from
automatically installing. If the Update Readiness Tool is unable to fix the problem,
you'll need to identify which updates are failing and manually install them.
To view your PC's updates, in Control Panel's System and Security group, select
Windows Update. In Windows Update select View update history. In
the update history window, check Status column. The updates should be
indicated as Successful in the Status column.
You may need to scroll down to find the update that has failed. Look at the Name
of the failed update, it should have a Knowledge Base number at the end. Go to the
Microsoft Download Center
and enter the Knowledge Base number in the search box. You will be taken to a page where
you can download and install the update.
Some updates require that a previous update be installed successfully. The Knowledge Base
download page will alert you to this. Use this process to fix any other failed updates.
After all updates are successfully manually installed, automatic updates should be able
to function properly.
More Windows Troubleshooting Articles:
• Video - Exploring with Process Explorer
• How to Troubleshoot the Video Driver
• Wireless Router Problems and Solutions
• How To Troubleshoot Video Display Problems
• How to Fix "ICACLS" Error
• Computer Repair with Diagnostic Flowcharts
• Five Ways to Fix USB Ports Not Working
• Introduction to Windows 10 Resource Monitor
• Quick and Easy Guide to Reinstall the Video Driver
• Video - Dell Laptop Optical Drive Replacement Tutorial