Remove Spyware with Spybot - Search & Destroy
By Stephen Bucaro
How do you know if your PC is hosting spyware? Do new toolbars appear in your Web browser
that you didn't install? has your Web homepage changed without you changing it? Do pop-up
ads appear even on sites you know don't use popups? The worst kind of spyware you may
not have any indication it's there - a key logger that will log every keystroke you make
in order to capture your passwords and credit card information.
Most anti-virus programs will also detect spyware, but there is one application that is extremely
proficient in detecting and removing spyware - Spybot - Search & Destroy. Spybot - Search & Destroy
has won awards from PC Magazine, PC User, ZDNet, and many others. And it's free for home
users, although corporate users are required to purchase a yearly license.
Spybot - Search & Destroy scans your computer's hard disk and RAM for spyware and adware.
Then, not only does it remove the malicious software, it can also repair damage done to the
registry. Some programs come with attached spyware and refuse to run when the spyware
is not present. Spybot - Search & Destroy replace the spyware binaries with inert dummies
to fool those programs. It also includes an immunize feature to block the installation of
spyware before it occurs.
Some spyware manufacturers, knowing the program's popularity have created clones with
the same name and same user interface. Users download and install the clone, but instead of
removing spyware, they install spyware. It is, therefore, very inportant to download Spybot - Search & Destroy
from the applications website at safer-networking.org
or from another reliable source.
More Windows Administration Information:
• Five Things You Can Do To Improve Your Company's Security
• What's a Root Kit and How Hackers Are Getting Into Your Computer With It
• Social Engineering Attack Counter Measures
• How Many Spyware Items Are Slowing Down Your Computer?
• Microsoft Security Essentials
• PC Chassis Intrusion Detection
• Ransomware and How To Protect Yourself
• Set Windows Defender to Scan Core Operating System Files
• What is Spyware?
• Top Features to Look for in Antivirus Software