FREE Antivirus Software : Avast!
By Stephen Bucaro
Avast! Home Edition by the Czechoslovak company Alwil Software is
ICSA certified. This means Avast! 4 will detect 100
percent of all known viruses. Avast! provides both file and email protection that works with any
POP3/IMAP4 email client, including Outlook and Outlook Express.
Avast! Antivirus is provided free of charge for home users. Download the 7.1 MB
application from Avast. The
only thing they request is that you register online. After you register, you receive
an email containing an activation key. The program will work without the activation key,
but the activation key allows you to receive automatic virus signature updates for
the next 14 months. After that period, it is necessary to re-register.
Avast! performs a scan of memory upon startup, then opens a a fancy round-cornered
window that is a bit sluggish to move around the screen. Click on the drive icon
(top one on right side) to select to scan local disks, then click on the big round
button on the left side to begin the scan. Avast! has a simple user interface and
Alwil Software provides free support via e-mail.
More Windows Administration Information:
• How to Stay Safe on Public Wi-Fi
• Social Engineering Attack Counter Measures
• Ransomware and How To Protect Yourself
• Remove Stubborn Malware Infection With McAfee Labs Stinger
• The Ransomware Epidemic and What You Can Do
• Phishing Attacks
• What is Phishing and How to Safeguard Against It
• BIOS Security
• Top Features to Look for in Antivirus Software
• Six Steps to Get and Keep Your Computer Running at Full Speed