FREE Antivirus Software : Avast!
By Stephen Bucaro
Avast! Home Edition by the Czechoslovak company Alwil Software is
ICSA certified. This means Avast! 4 will detect 100
percent of all known viruses. Avast! provides both file and email protection that works with any
POP3/IMAP4 email client, including Outlook and Outlook Express.
Avast! Antivirus is provided free of charge for home users. Download the 7.1 MB
application from Avast. The
only thing they request is that you register online. After you register, you receive
an email containing an activation key. The program will work without the activation key,
but the activation key allows you to receive automatic virus signature updates for
the next 14 months. After that period, it is necessary to re-register.
Avast! performs a scan of memory upon startup, then opens a a fancy round-cornered
window that is a bit sluggish to move around the screen. Click on the drive icon
(top one on right side) to select to scan local disks, then click on the big round
button on the left side to begin the scan. Avast! has a simple user interface and
Alwil Software provides free support via e-mail.
More Windows Administration Information:
• Tips to Protect Windows Vista Operating System
• Flash Animations and Videos Install Viruses
• The Ransomware Epidemic and What You Can Do
• Remove Stubborn Malware Infection With McAfee Labs Stinger
• DriveLock Hard Drive Protection
• The Seven Most Common Methods of Cyber Attacks
• A Guide to Understanding Security and Safe Windows Vista Computing
• Keep Your Firefox Browsing Private
• Guide to Selecting the Right Spyware Removal Tool
• Top Tips To Secure Your Online PC