Configure Windows 10 to Search Windows Only
By Stephen Bucaro
Unfortunately, by default Windows 10 taskbar Search is configured to "Search the Web
and Windows", which first connects to Microsoft's bing search engine and searches
Microsoft's Windows Store. When I use Search, I don't want to go shopping, I want to
search my computer. And If I want to search the Web, I'll use Google. If you feel
the same way, here's how to configure Windows 10 to Search Windows Only:
1. Select the Search box next to the "Start" button.
2. Click Settings (next to the gear icon) - a menu of Cortana options appears.
3. Set "Cortana can give you suggestions ..." to Off.
4. Set "Search online and include Web results" to Off.
The search box will now say "Search Windows" instead of "Search the Web and Windows" or "Ask me anything".
More Windows Administration Information:
• Script to Print a Directory File List
• Video - How to Remove the Bloat from Your PC
• DOS Switches and Wild Cards
• PC Technician's Guide to Providing Telephone Support
• Disable Automatic Wireless Configuration in Windows 7
• Choosing a Tape Drive
• Disable Kernal Paging to Speed Up Windows
• View a Brief List of Windows 10's Recent Problems
• Turn Off Windows XP Service Pack 2 Firewall
• Uncomplicated AD Object Management on a Remote Server Domain