Disable Media Player Network Sharing
By Stephen Bucaro
Have you ever been working in Windows Vista when suddenly your system comes to a
screeching halt and the rotating "wait" icon begins poping in and out? That's an indication
that something is happening in the background, and frequently that something is Windows Media
Player Network Sharing Service (wmpnetwk.exe).
This service allows Media Player to share media with other computers on the network.
Even if Windows Media Player isn't open on your computer, it could be running in the
background. I can't count how many times Windows Media Player has started running
in the background on my computer on its own volition.
If this has happened to you, follow ths steps below to disable Windows Media Player
Network sharing Service.
1. Open Control Panel and in Control Panel's left pane, click on Classic View.
2. In Control Panel's right pane, double-click on Administrative Tools.
3. In Administrative Tools double-click on the Services icon.
4. If the user Account Control dialog box appears, click on the [Continue] button.
5. In the Services window that appears, locate "Windows Media Player Network
sharing Service" and double-click on it.
6. In the Windows Media Player Network sharing Service Properties dialog box,
in the Startup type: drop-down-list, select Disabled.
7. Click on the [Apply] button, then on the [OK] button.
Now if you go back to the Services window, the value next to Windows Media
Player Network Sharing Service in the Startup Type column should be Disabled.
More Windows Tips:
• Windows Mouse Dead? - How to Get Around Windows Without the Rodent
• How to Use Windows 7 Built-in Speech Recognition
• Create a Shortcut to Task Manager
• Cover Your Tracks in Internet Explorer
• Keep Laptop Running when You Close Display in Windows 7
• How to Create a Microsoft Excel Database
• Change the Windows 7 Desktop Background
• Configure Windows 7 File Contents Searching
• How To Build A Mortgage Calculator For Free in Microsoft Excel
• How to Disable Windows Explorer's Annoying Tooltips Popups