By Stephen Bucaro
AMD's Bobcat (codename) microarchitecture was released in early 2011 to serve
the low-power/low-cost market. It uses 40 nm (nanometer) die technology and has a
power dissipation of 18 Watts.
Bobcat microarchitecture. Image source AMD.
• 64-bit core
• Out-of-order execution
• Advanced branch predictor
• Dual x86 instruction decoder
• 64-bit integer unit with two ALUs
• Floating-point unit with two 64-bit pipes
• Single channel 64-bit memory controller
• 32KB instruction cache
• 32KB data L1 cache
• 512KB L2 cache
AMD's Bulldozer (codename) microarchitecture was released in October of 2011, to replace
the K10 microarchitecture. It uses 32 nm (nanometer) Silicon on insulator (SOI) process
technology and has a power dissipation of 125 watts.
Bulldozer microarchitecture. Image source AMD.
Bulldozer microarchitecture uses dual-core "modules". Each module has 2 MB of L2 cache
16 KB 4-way of L1d (way-predicted) cache 64 KB of 2-way L1i cache, two ALU (Arithmetic Logic Unit),
two AGU (Address Generation Unit), and two symmetrical 128-bit FMAC (fused multiply–add capability)
All modules share the L3 cache as well as an Advanced Dual-Channel Memory Sub-System
(IMC - Integrated Memory Controller).
AMD's Jaguar (codename) microarchitecture was released in mid 2013 as an improvement
to the Bobcat microarchitecture. It was designed for tablets, notebooks, and embedded
applications like PlayStation Xbox. It uses 28 nm (nanometer) die technology and has a
power dissipation of 6 Watts.
Jaguar microarchitecture. Image source AMD.
• 32 KiB instruction + 32 KiB data L1 cache
• 16 way, 1-2 MiB unified L2 cache shared by two or four cores
• Out-of-order execution and Speculative execution
• Integrated memory controller
• Two-way integer execution
• Two-way 128-bit wide floating-point and packed integer execution
• Integrated Fusion controller hub chipset
More Computer Anatomy Articles:
• CPU Chip Packaging
• Basic Computer Architecture
• The Use of SOI (Silicone on Insulator) Wafers in MEMS (Micro-Electro-Mechanical Systems) Production
• Introduction to Boolean Algebra
• The Many Processes of Silicon Wafer Manufacturing
• Windows Operating System Services, Functions, Routines, Processes, Threads, and Jobs
• Binary Floating-Point Numbers
• How Computer Memory Works
• Microprocessor Counter, Clock, Timer Circuits
• Digital Logic Transfer Characteristics