Windows 10 Shortcut to Turn Laptop Camera On or Off
By Stephen Bucaro
Many stolen laptop computers are recovered when the owner remotely accesses it's
camera. Strangely enough, the thief is usually someone the victim knows. But a
security company can often locate a stolen laptop by remotely accessing it's camera
and viewing what's in the background of the thieves room.
Hackers also have lots of fun viewing unaware laptop users. One way to prevent this
is to put a piece of tape over the camera lens. But if you sometimes use the camera,
for example with Skype, the repeatedly removing and replacing the tape may weaken it's
glue, allowing it to fall off without you noticing.
Another way to prevent hackers from sneaking a look at you is to turn your camera off
in the security settings utility. This is not difficult, but you have to remember what
the steps are. However if you place a shortcut on your desktop named, for example,
Camera On Off you can quickly turn the camera on or off without needing to
To create a shortcut, right-click on a blank space on the desktop, and in the menu
that appears select New | Shortcut. In the Create Shortcut dialog box
that appears, in the "Type the location of the item:" text box, type:
Then click on [Next] button.
In the next screen of the Create Shortcut dialog box, in the "Type a name for
this shortcut:" text box, type a name for the shortcut, for example Camera On Off
then click on the [Finish] button.
A shortcut named Camera On Off will appear on your desktop. click on the
shortcut and the Camera Settings utility will appear, displaying the status of
the Camera's setting along with a button allowing to change the setting.
Clicking on the [Change] button will display a slide switch allowing you to change
the On or Off status of the camera.
More Windows Tips:
• Use Windows Key Shortcuts
• How to Disable Windows Explorer's Annoying Tooltips Popups
• Read Any ePUB eBook Inside Firefox With EPUBReader Plugin
• How to Determine if You have 32 bit or 64 bit Windows 7
• The Secret to Passing the Microsoft Office Specialist Exams
• Put a Shut Down Button on Your Desktop
• How to Cancel a Print Job in Windows 10
• Remove Windows Components You Don't Need
• Show Desktop Icon Gives Quick Access to Desktop Icons
• My Favorite Windows 7 Tips and Tricks