Troubleshooting skills vary from administrator to administrator. If a troubleshooter does not follow a structured approach, the temptation is to move between troubleshooting tasks in a fairly random way, often based on instinct. Such an approach can become confusing to remember what you have tried and what you have not tried.
You might encounter a variety of structured troubleshooting methodologies in networking literature. However, for the Network+ exam, the methodology shown in figure 21-2 is the one you should memorize.
Once you have completed step 5, implemented the solution or escalated as necessary. step 6 is to verify full system functionality and, if applicable, implement preventive measures.
After implementing an action plan, you need to verify that the symptoms listed in your original problem definition are gone. You also need to attempt to determine whether your action plan has caused any other issues on the network. A mistake many troubleshooters make at this point is believing that the issue has been resolved because the specific symptom (or symptoms) they were looking for is gone. However, the user who originally reported the issue might still be having a problem. therefore, troubleshooters should live by the mantra "A problem isn't fixed until the user believes it’s fixed." You should get confirmation from the person reporting an issue that, from her perspective, the reported issue has indeed been resolved. In the example:
User A's computer is unable to communicate with server 1, as verified by a ping test. However, user A can communicate with all other servers. Also, no other user seems to have an issue connecting to server 1.
you can check with user A to see whether she agrees that the problem is resolved.
Elaboration of Step 1 though Step 7 of the network troubleshooting methodology that should be understood and memorized for the Network+ exam can be found in CompTIA Network+ N10-008 Cert Guide
About The Author
Anthony Sequeira, CCIE No. 15626, is a Cisco Certified Systems Instructor (CCSI) and author regarding all levels and tracks of Cisco Certification. Anthony formally began his career in the information technology industry in 1994 with IBM in Tampa, Florida. He quickly formed his own computer consultancy, Computer Solutions, and then discovered his true passion-teaching and writing about Microsoft and Cisco technologies. Anthony joined Mastering Computers in 1996 and lectured to massive audiences around the world about the latest in computer technologies. Mastering Computers became the revolutionary online training company, KnowledgeNet, and Anthony trained there for many years. Anthony is currently pursuing his second CCIE in the area of Security and is a full-time instructor for the next-generation of KnowledgeNet, StormWind.com. Anthony is also a VMware Certified Professional.
CompTIA Network+ N10-008 Cert Guide contains proven study features that allow you to succeed on the exam the first time. Expert instructor Anthony Sequeira shares preparation hints and test-taking tips, helping you identify areas of weakness and improve both your conceptual knowledge and hands-on skills, essential for successful completion of the performance-based testing items on the exam. This complete, CompTIA-approved study package includes the following:
• A test-preparation routine proven to help you pass the exams
• Clearly defined chapter learning objectives covering all N10-008 exam topics
• Chapter-ending review questions and exam preparation exercises, which help you drill on key concepts you must know thoroughly
• The powerful Pearson Test Prep practice test software, complete with hundreds of well-reviewed, exam-realistic questions, customization options, and detailed performance reports
• 40 performance-based exercises to help you prepare for the hands-on exam questions
• A free copy of the CompTIA Network+ N10-008 Simulator Lite software, complete with meaningful lab exercises that enhance your hands-on skills
• More than 60 minutes of video mentoring
• A final preparation chapter that guides you through tools and resources to help you craft your review and test taking strategies
• An Exam Essentials appendix that quickly recaps all major chapter topics for easy reference, both in print and interactive digital format
• A key terms Glossary in both print and on the companion website, which acts as an interactive flash-card application
• Study plan suggestions and templates to help you organize and optimize your study time
• A 10% exam discount voucher (a $33+ value!)
Well regarded for its level of detail, study plans, assessment features, challenging review questions and exercises, video instruction, and hands-on labs, this approved study guide helps you master the concepts and techniques that ensure your exam success.
Master the topics on the CompTIA Network+ N10-008 exam, including:
• Network topologies and media types
• IP addressing
• Network services
• Data center architectures and cloud concepts
• Routing, Ethernet switching, and wireless networking
• Network availability and disaster recovery
• Network security
• Remote access
• Network troubleshooting
Reader Paulo Cardoso says, "This is a great book. In addition, it comes with great additional resources."
Learn more about the CompTIA Network+ N10-008 Cert Guide at amazon.com
Learn more at amazon.com