Use Windows Key Shortcuts
By Stephen Bucaro
You may find it difficult to believe, but the early PCs didn't have a mouse or
a touch pad. Everything was done with the keyboard. I know it sounds backward, but
even though processors where crude and memory was scarce, using the keyboard you
could actually do things a lot faster. By typing a DOS command you can copy a
file way faster than by using a graphical File Manager.
I didn't quit using DOS for everyday tasks until the Windows 95 operating system
was released. Along with Windows 95, keyboards with a Windows key were introduced.
The Windows key is the key with the logo on it just to the left of the [Alt] key.
The Windows key adds some functionality that can speed up your access the Windows
Desktop and give you quick access to some useful utilities.
Below is a list of Windows key shortcuts that you may find useful.
|Opens the Start menu
|[e]||Opens Windows Explorer|
|[d]||Toggles show desktop by alternately minimizing or restoring all open windows|
|[f]||Opens the Find dialog box|
|[l]||Locks your PC. Enter your password to unlock it|
|[m]||Minimizes all open windows so you can access the desktop|
|[Shift][m]||Restores all minimized windows|
|[r]||Opens the Run dialog box where you can enter a command line instruction|
|[Pause/Break]||Opens the System Properties dialog box|
|[u]||Opens Ease of Access Center dialog box where you can start accessibility utilities|
|[F1]||Opens Help and Support dialog box|
|Maximizes the active window|
|Restores windows to their initial size|
More Windows Tips:
• Change Vista's Start Menu Shutdown Option
• OpenOffice a Software Solution to Enhance your Office Productivity at No Cost
• Configuring Sound for Windows Events
• Put a Help and Support Center Shortcut on Your Desktop
• Stop Desktop Icons from Randomly Refreshing
• Move an Off Screen Window Back into View
• Configure Windows Taskbar
• Cover Your Tracks in Internet Explorer
• Desktop Shortcuts Give Quick Access to Applications and Folders
• How to Set up an Ftp Server on Windows Xp Professional