Creating and selling handmade items can be an excellent way to start your business. You can sell the unique items you make on the Internet, on eBay, on Craigslist, in a local craft store, at a craft fair or to your friends.
Welcome to Bucaro TecHelp!

Bucaro TecHelp
HTTPS Encryption not required because no account numbers or
personal information is ever requested or accepted by this site

About Bucaro TecHelp About BTH User Agreement User Agreement Privacy Policy Privacy Site Map Site Map Contact Bucaro TecHelp Contact RSS News Feeds News Feeds

Owning Your Own Craft Business - Is it Really Possible?

How many get rich quick schemes have you seen on the Internet or advertised on late night television? Some of them sound pretty feasible, don't they? Have you ever found yourself considering buying into one of these plans? Have you ever actually taken the plunge? If you were successful, you would not be reading this article. Even though the marketing for these schemes is genius, they are what they are, schemes. The reality is that the only way to get rich quick is to win the lottery or inherit a fortune.

Yet the reason the get rich quick schemes seem so reasonable is because the argument for owning your own business is usually a good representation of how many of us feel. The commute back and forth to work, the daycare if you are a working parent or caregiver, the overtime, the corporate red tape and the boss that is less than fair or friendly. Wouldn't it be a dream come true to own your own business and leave all that behind? I don't know many people who haven't at least thought about it, even if just for a minute.

The reality is that many people DO own their own businesses. Just do a quick search on the Internet for oh, let's say, scrapbooking supplies. Google returns over one million results. For argument's sake, let's assume large corporations such as Michael's, Hobby Lobby and JoAnn own 75 percent of those sites. The remaining 25 percent or 250,000 web sites listed are individuals who own their own business selling scrapbooking supplies. How did these entrepreneurs get started? If they did it, why can't you?

The key to starting and running a successful business of your own is to begin considering what you love and what you are good at. Do you have a hobby you love that is crafty? Creating and selling handmade items can be an excellent way to start your business while allowing you to keep the safety net of your current job. You can sell the unique items you make on the Internet, on eBay, on Craigslist, in a local craft store, at a craft fair or to your friends. Some crafts that come to mind are:

• Sewing, embroidery, knitting, crocheting, appliqué, cross stitch, needlepoint, quilting, weaving, macramé, lace making
• Pottery, sculpture, ceramics
• Woodcarving, metal work, glass art, leather art, mosaic art
• Candle making, soap making
• Scrapbooking, rubber stamping, card making, stenciling
• Photography, graphics
• Painting, artwork
• Jewelry making, beading
• Floral arranging
• Doll making

I'm sure I'm leaving out several craft types, but the key here is that there are numerous ways to create beautiful handmade items that other people will pay you money to own. Yes, you can actually own your own business and make money doing what you love. I've seen people become so wildly successful that they had to hire a staff to keep up with demand. I've done it and had to turn away business because of my backlog of orders. It isn't a get rich quick scheme. It isn't easy and it takes a great deal of initiative and dedication to be as successful as the individuals that I referenced, but the work you do is your own. It is something you love doing and you answer to no one but yourself (and your clients). And with that in mind, all the hard work you put into your craft business is worth it.


Dawn Bates is a wife, mother and avid scrapbooker. Her scrapbooking layouts have appeared in several issues of Creating Keepsakes and Memory Makers magazines. Dawn's scrapbooking layouts have won several awards at scrapbooking conventions and she is a frequent contributor to published books featuring scrapbook layouts. Her custom scrapbook design business has been so successful that she is now helping other scrapbookers start their own scrapbook business. Her helpful business plan can be found on her web site, SolarFlair Designs.

RSS Feed RSS Feed

Follow Stephen Bucaro Follow @Stephen Bucaro

Fire HD
[Site User Agreement] [Privacy Policy] [Site map] [Search This Site] [Contact Form]
Copyright©2001-2019 Bucaro TecHelp 13771 N Fountain Hills Blvd Suite 114-248 Fountain Hills, AZ 85268