Windows 7 Action Center Lets You Control Alerts
By Stephen Bucaro
Annoyed by Window's constantly nagging pop-up messages? Windows 7 Action Center
lets you decide which Windows 7 alerts you see and which you donít. Action Center monitors
many system security and system maintenance features of your computer and if the status
of a monitored item changes - for example, if your antivirus software becomes out of date
- Action Center notifies you with a message in the notification area on the taskbar. The
difference is that Action Center lets you decide which alerts you see and which you donít.
To set which items Action Center monitors and sends alerts for, in Control Panel
under the System and Security group, click on Action Center.
The two areas that the Action Center monitors are shown on this page. Click on one of
the down-arrows to see a further breakdown of each area. If there is a problem with one
of the features, it will be displayed here, for example this computer needs a backup
In the left panel of this window, click on Change Action Center settings.
To prevent Action Center from monitoring and sending alerts for an item, clear the
check box next to the item. To tell Action Center to monitor and send alerts for an item
set the check box next to the item. When you have cleared or set all items as desired,
click on the [OK] button.
If you prefer to handle a security or maintenance feature yourself, for example if you
perform your own backup, you can turn off Action Center's monitoring and notifications for
that feature. If later you decide that receiving notifications for that feature are important,
you can always turn it back on.
Note at the bottom of the Action Center settings page are some links to other related Windows settings.
More Maintain and Upgrade Your PC Articles:
• How to Upgrade Your PC's Graphics Card
• The Truth About Power Supplies
• Printing Troubleshooting Guide
• How to REALLY backup the Windows Registry
• How to Maintain Accurate Time on Your PC
• Removing and Installing the Hard Drive
• Digital Photography Printing - Simplifying the Pixels and DPI's
• How to Use Windows Defender
• How To Properly Install A New Motherboard
• Hacking Windows Vista