Put a Shut Down Button on Your Desktop
By Stephen Bucaro
Regardless of which version of Windows you use, it requires several steps to shut
the system down. It's like this frustrating system won't let you go without one
final bit of frustration. Well, you can reduce shut down to one step by placing
a Shut Down shortcut on your desktop.
1. Right-click on an empty area of the desktop and, in the popup menu that appears,
select New | Shortcut.
2. In the Create Shortcut dialog box that appears, type the following text:
shutdown -s -t 00
This executes the command shutdown.exe with the arguments -s (for
shutdown, you could also use -r for restart), and -t 00 (which sets the
delay time in seconds before shutdown).
3. Click on the [Next] button and, in the next screen of the Create Shortcut
edit the suggested name for the shortcut to Shutdown. Click on the [Finish] button.
4. Right-click on the resulting shortcut and, in the Shutdown Properties dialog
box that appears, select the Shortcut tab (if not already selected) and click
on the [Change Icon...] button. Click the [OK] button to dismiss the warning box
5. In the Change Icon dialog box, select an icon for your shortcut. I like
the red "lock" icon myself. Then click on the [OK] button. Click on the [Apply]
and [OK] buttons in the Shutdown Properties dialog box.
Now when you want to shut down your computer, just double-click on your Shutdown
shortcut. If you want to make it even easier, drag your shortcut to the Quick Launch
area (the far left side) of the Task bar. Now you need only one click to shut
down your computer.
More Windows Tips:
• Introducing Screensavers
• Read Any ePUB eBook Inside Firefox With EPUBReader Plugin
• Stop Desktop Icons from Randomly Refreshing
• Disable Windows 7 Automatic Resizing and Docking
• Add the Undo Button to File Explorer in Windows 10
• Create a Shortcut to the Windows 10 Print Queue
• How to Add or Remove Items from Send to Menu
• Save Ink When Printing
• How to Hide Files in Windows 7
• Capture the Computer's Screen With the Print Screen Key