Step-by-Step Guide to Registering and Implementing Google Analytics With WordPress Websites
Google Analytics is a must for anybody with a website. Knowing where traffic is coming
from lets an owner understand which of his efforts to get the word out about his site are paying
off and which are not. You will need a Google account before you can get a Google Analytics
account, and will be walked through both activities below.
A note about Gmail accounts
If you have a Gmail account, all of the Google services registered for may be tied to
that account. If ever it is necessary to change or abandon your Gmail account however, it would
be necessary to associate the Google services with a new account and dissociate them from the
old account. While it is possible to change the primary account associated with the services,
it is a taxing process and best avoided (as the author has learned through hard experience).
Therefore the instructions below do not require that you associate any of the services with
a Gmail account.
Registering for a Google Account
If you already have a Google account, skip down to the Registering for Google Analytics
section below. You could register through Google Accounts as well, but that would create a
Gmail account for you and this instruction set avoids that possibility.
1. Type "google.com⁄analytics" into your browser to be taken to the Analytics homepage.
2. Below the header menu, to the upper right of the page, is a big blue button that you
should click on labeled "Access Analytics".
3. You are transported to a login page. Since you need to register for an account, look
for the link labeled "Sign Up for a new Google Account" in the upper right corner of the page
and click on it.
4. Now you are looking at a registration page. You need to input the following information:
a. Your email address - this can be any email address and does not have to be a Gmail address
b. Your new password
c. Retype your new password
d. Your location
e. Your birthday
f. A Captcha (of course)
5. You should, of course, read the terms of service before you click the "I accept. Create
my account" button. It is a legally binding contract.
6. Once you accept the terms of service, you are shown an account creation screen that
directs you to confirm your email address.
7. To confirm your email address, open the email that Google sent to the email address
you provided in step 4.a. and click the link provided.
8. You will be taken to a confirmation screen that informs you that your account has
been activated. Now you will be able to sign in when you see that "Access Analytics" button
we saw back in step 2.
A valid question at this point is why did you not register through the Google Accounts
sign-up. Signing up directly through the Google Accounts registration creates a Gmail account
for you in your account name. Because we do not want to associate our Analytics account with
a Gmail account, we took a different path to registration.